The First Sanyam is unforgettable. Everyday Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar served us with food -specially prepared to cool down the system after a lot of Yoga and Meditation. Each and every dish was planned by Him and prepared according to His instructions.
I can still vividly taste the carrot and Vermicelli Kheer that we had. It was creamy, subtle and delicious. I have reconstructed it here from memory.
We prepared, and enjoyed this Kheer for Bhogi Festival, the equivalent of Lohri.
- 3/4 cup roasted vermicelli
- 1 small Delhi carrot
- 1/2 Lt.A2 milk
- 3/4 cup powdered jaggery
- A pinch of saffron soaked in a tbsp of warm milk
- 1 tsp powdered cardomom powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- In a heavy bottom saucepan , add about a cup of water and when it starts boiling, add the roasted vermicelli and let it cook till done. It usually gets done within 5 minutes, and the vermicelli absorbs all the water.
- Boil the milk and keep boiling it in low heat for 10 mins more.
- Pressure cook the carrot for 2 whistles. Blend it to a fine paste.
- Add the milk to vermicelli and cook for 5 minutes. Add the carrot paste and cook for a minute more. Lower the heat, add the powdered Jaggery and let cook for a few minutes.
- Turn off the fire, add the spices: Saffron, Cardamom and Nutmeg powder.
Garnish with Sliced almonds and roasted cashew halves.
This quantity will serve a family of 4.