Kunukku is a crunchy snack that we used to enjoy as children. It is comfort food for the cold, rainy wintery days. Athough it is fried, it does not soak up oil, like most fritters. Give it a try, and enjoy this savoury delight!
South Indian Kunukku ( Bhajia in Hindi, Fritters in English)
Channa dal : 1/2 cup
Toor dal : 1/2 cup
Rice : 1/4 cup
Urid dal : 1/4 cup
Red chilly : 2- 3 nos
Curry leaves : 1 sprig, tear the leaves into pieces, by hand
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Salt. : To taste
Grated coconut : 2 table spoons
Oil to fry
1. Wash and soak the dals,rice, and chillies in water for an hour.
2. Drain the water, and grind the soaked ingredients coarsely into a thick batter.
3. Add salt, turmeric powder, grated coconut, and curry leaves.
4. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, reduce the flame to medium high.
5. Drop coin sized portions of the batter into the oil with a tea spoon.
6. When the kunukku turns golden brown, remove from fire onto a kitchen towel.
7. Serve as a snack by itself or with tomato ketchup.